This is a very difficult post for me to write, because every time I read or hear Sabrina Shannon’s story, it literally stops me in my tracks and I sob, uncontrollably. It is the story of a beautiful and energetic 13 year old girl who suffered a fatal allergic reaction to food eaten in her school cafeteria. Her life may have ended September 20, 2003 but her story goes on here. I am posting a link to an audio documentary that Sabrina made in her bedroom, talking about what it’s like to live with food allergies as a kid. She was funny and articulate, but most of all she made a difference in her school by talking openly about her food allergies.
Parents and loved ones of children who suffer from severe food allergies live in daily fear that what happened to Sabrina may one day take their own child away from them as well. The diagnosis of food allergies is not a choice, but a true medical disability and one that should be taken very seriously by schools. Sabrina’s Law does just that by requiring schools to develop and enforce anaphylaxis management plans for food allergic children. The law was passed in Ontario, Canada, on May 16, 2006, but there are still many states in the U.S. that have yet to pass this important law. Sabrina’s mom Sara promised her dying daughter that night in September that she would do whatever she could do to prevent this from happening to another food allergic family again. Let’s continue to help Sara keep her daughter’s memory alive by forwarding this link to everyone you know, and to contact your local congressmen and women to pass Sabrina’s Law in your state. Send the link to your school superintendent, school nurses, cafeteria workers and even parents so that more people understand that food allergies is a life or death situation, not just an illness. Schools shouldn’t want this liability and they should want to protect our children.
I have thought of Sabrina nearly every day since I first read her story two years ago. My son, John, is a true gift to me and I would never recover if he died from an allergic reaction. Thanks so much for your support and now follow this link to hear Sabrina’s Story: